Monday, February 1, 2010

Emetophobia

Lately I've been thinking of going to medical school. I've had many discussions with my father about what happens in medical school, watched a documentary about Harvard medical students, researched what it takes to get into medical school etc, and overall I'm very excited about the whole idea. There's only one little glitch in this whole plan, I'm pretty sure I have emetophobia, which is the fear of vomiting. I guess that's a bit over dramatic, I'll rephrase to I very INTENSELY dislike vomiting. Not that anyone LIKES it but I especially hate it, to the point of abandoning my little sister in fear (as in she was little and me literally running away from her). Not exactly a quality you want in a doctor. I've mentioned this to my dad before but he just brushes it aside and says that you become desensitized to those sorts of things. Hmm. I don't know if he realizes how much I really fear it. For example earlier today I was watching Super Size Me and I had to turn it off after he started throwing up, I wasn't even watching at the time but just the sound and knowing what was happening plunged me into a panic that I'm still trying to calm down from. At that moment I was completely ready to give up on all medical school plans and find a new occupation. Now that I have calmed down I know that I still want to pursue becoming a doctor, but I'm going to have to work really hard on either containing my fear or overcoming it so it doesn't effect me as a doctor.

No comments:

Post a Comment